Veep, 7.04, South Carolina
1. Oh man, I am ashamed of how much I enjoyed that. Dan, you fucking moron.
I mean, we always knew he was going to get fired some day because of his dick, but this is such a stupid, stupid way for it to happen. Having a one-night stand with his candidate who he knows has negative loyalty, even to Tom James, who she actually seems to love. Why on earth did he think having sex with Selina would get him anything? She’s not Amy, she doesn’t go around developing genuine attachments to people, she messed around Charlie Baird who she actually liked, so how he thought he would be safe I can’t imagine.
But it was very cruel of the showrunners to give me shirtless Reid Scott in a scene where I couldn’t enjoy the view, because I was too busy laughing at what stupid, stupid choices he was making. Like, dude, this is why settling down with Amy really would have been a better option for you – you would have been having just as much sex, you would have at least one person who would always be on your side AND that person is someone you actually seem to like. (At some point, forty years from now, he’s got to realise what a cock-up that was).
I said he was spiralling, but this really seems like it. He’s going to wind up a D.C. joke, no two ways about it.
2. Question: how can Selina fire Dan? Has BKD been wound up permanently?
3. Oh Selina. Sleeping with Dan – really? I mean, really? For what it’s worth, I’d assume she’d made the decision to fire him before they had sex – hence giving in and going for it. Can you imagine what the scene of the two of them…flirting their way into sex must have looked like? How do two people that narcissistic listen to the other person long enough to actually get down?
We’re going to find out there’s some competitive bullshit with Amy at the back of this, a kind of “anything you can do, I can do better” type of thing. I remember joking with @selina-meyer that the only thing Selina would ever want from Dan is sex – but I still think she can do better.
4. Proof of my theory that Dan and Selina are terrible, terrible soulmates – she throws him away just as callously as he has to dozens of women. Not so much fun when the boot is on the other foot, right?
5. The shark in the Keith Quinn suit emerges. Interesting – and far more subtly done than any other political operator in Veep. And people think Amy sabotaging Dan in London was cold. That said, taking out Dan is nothing that impressive – since he was virtually guaranteed to fuck himself into trouble sooner or later.
6. I’m assuming that Mike is going to “remember” his conversation with the Chinese at a suitably dramatic moment.
7. Selina, Selina, Selina, how many times have we been over this? Tom James is only ever nice to you when he’s about to sabotage you in some surprising and cold-blooded way. Watching all of this play out is making the length of her marriage to Andrew more intelligible, I’ll say that.
8. Dressing Amy up in Kellyanne Conway drag, didn’t really work – Anna Chlumsky is just too young and…healthy looking for it to quite land. Funnily enough, I always thought that was a likely trajectory for Dan.
9. The lengthy “dog-whistle” discussion was not nearly as funny as the writers thought it was.
10. Selina gives the signal that she’s willing to have the Chinese sabotage the election, because when it comes down to it, she can’t stomach standing up in front of a black congregation and justifying police brutality. So instead she disenfranchised tens of thousands of black voters. I guess this is what happens when the three percent of what used to be her conscience gets activated.
11. I’m curious where they’re going with the Hero!Richard thing. It’s interesting for me that for all Veep is about supposedly cut-throat politicians, none of the candidates we see are ever intentionally successful – they just bumble-fuck their way into a victory without ever realising how or why it’s happening.
12. If Jonah’s hot new Secret Service Guy is Amy’s new boyfriend (he’s in the cast for the final three episodes, so it seems possible) I think it’s clear that, between him and Marjorie, the route to personal happiness in Veep is getting it on with the Secret Service.
13. On a Veep Style front, we saw the first incarnation of Amy’s new look, and, surprise surprise, it’s not quite right – she’s got the dress sorted, but the hair and make-up are still being nailed down. Growing pains are to be expected.
She’s kind of getting a new lease of life from Jonah’s campaign I think – they’re doing so badly, there’s really nothing for her to lose, so why not go balls to the wall and get everything she can from it personally?
14. I was hoping for more from Keegan-Michael Key. He could have done that part in his sleep.